Monday, April 11, 2011

Chicken Soup for the...body

Hi all,

I have been so. sick.  lately.  It sucks!  I can't even enjoy being out of work, I'm going stir crazy!

Anyway,  I thought I'd take this opportunity to write about a theory many share.  Food can heal.  I started off taking lots of OTC medicines to mask my varying symptoms.  But nothing really worked.

Finally, I took some time off to rest (the best medicine) and had some of nature's own medicine: Chicken soup.  Made with love from my hubby (as I laid on the couch and watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, again.)  

I find the power of food to heal and comfort compelling.  After all, herbs and spices were the first medicines we used, and many are still used today.  Here are some of the food remedies I've employed this week (or were recommended to me:)

1. Chicken Noodle soup

2. Ginger Ale

3. Gatorade (OK so not exactly new-agey, but my doctor DID recommend it)

4. Hot tea

5.  Peppermint tea or peppermint oil rubbed on the gums

6. A mixture of hot water, tea, and vinegar (I couldn't bring myself to try this but I'm told it's a miracle cure)

Clearly we all have comforting remedies that make us feel better in times of need.  

What are some of yours?

I promise, my posts will involve some actual recipes soon...once I'm feeling better and I can find my camera!

<3

No comments: