Monday, April 18, 2011

On the wagon (no not that wagon.)

I don't know if you know this, but I like to eat.  Preferably things that have the following words in their title:  battered, fried, breaded, cheesy...you get the idea.

So this weekend, inspired by two great friends, I decided to re-re-re-re-re join the Weight Watchers party.

I successfully lost over 20 lbs. the last time I successfully worked the WW program.  I didn't like that I was eating a lot of processed food in order to do it, though.  This was also about 5 years ago, so things have changed with me, and the WW program.

This time, I am aiming to lose the weight, but in a way that appeals to me- fresh, local ingredients.  Unfortunately, that means lots of salads (I really have a disdain for lettuce.)

Tonight, Eric made a great salad that even I liked!  Here's the recipe:

1/4 c chopped kalamata olives
1/2 c chopped scallions
1/2 c chopped parsley
1 can petite diced tomatoes (much better with fresh...but it's April.)
1 seedless cucumber, chopped (holy cow, $2.50 for a cuke.  Not pleased.  Any suggestions for this frugal blogger?)
Squeeze of lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste, we also added garlic salt (Isn't it cute how I say 'we?'  I didn't do any of this)
EDIT:  Also, white wine vinegar, oregano, and olive oil to taste.

So basically you chop everything up, mix it, let it marinate, squeeze on some lemon.  We let it sit for about 20 minutes

Then we added grilled tofu.  Hear me out- tofu is low fat, and full of protein. AKA low points.

Eric marinates his tofu slices (extra firm) in lemon juice and olive oil, salt & pepper.  Throw it on the grill and flip after 5 or so minutes.  Zest a little lemon on it, and serve.

Here's some crappy phone photos! Right after this I shattered my phone screen. Maybe it was mad at me for mocking it's 3.2 mp camera.


Yum, yum, yum.

Total points?  About 4 for the tofu, and 3 or so for the salad.  Not too shabby- hello leftover lunch!

Other fun facts include: my Stonyfield Farms smoothie is now 4 points.  I may need to try my hand at homemade smoothies in my Magic Bullet.  Any recipes out there?  I'm really not a yogurt fan so concocting this may be tough!

No comments: