Monday, March 4, 2013

Potato soup

This was a happy accident type of meal. It all started at Thanksgiving, when we had 15 or so people over. In addition to the turkey, we got a gorgeous spiral ham. As it turns out, no one was really interested in the ham, so we had quite a lot leftover. Like 4 gallon bags full. We diced it, and froze it, and I really haven't come up with any ways to use it. I'm not hugely into ham, and with all the other awesome meats we bought this winter, I never got around to using it.

Similar story with a bag of red bliss potatoes Eric brought home recently. We didn't use them for whatever meal we bought them for, and they have been in the fridge for awhile.

Bring on this morning. I was craving potato soup like no other. I have only ever had potato and leek soup, but I have decided that leeks are just too much work. They are seriously high maintenance! So I skipped the leeks, and substituted ham in for where I would normally use bacon. Holy cow (pig) it was awesome.

Recipe

5 pounds red bliss potatoes, peeled and cubed (I'm sure any type of potato would be great here)
1 cup diced ham (bacon or pancetta would also be good here)
8 cups stock (ours was I identified freezer stock but I'm pretty sure it was chicken)
1 small white onion chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped

Put it all in the slow cooker, add some salt and pepper, and cook all day, I cooked it on high for 6 hours. At about hour four, I used a potato masher to...mash. If you are making this while you are at work, just mash it when you get home. It will be fine.

I topped with some Asiago cheese and green onions.

Served two, with leftovers for two lunches.

So comforting, so delicious, so perfect.

No comments: