Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DISASTER!



Last night, I tried to find a way around cooking my rice.  My successful experience with cooking dried beans made me confident.  Possibly too confident.


Here I sit, stirring rice (and typing between stirs.)  Why?  Because I failed.


After my beans were cooked (about 10:30 PM) I decided that I could start the rice & not have to cook anything tonight.  Easy, right?
I consult my http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ cookbook & discover that rice only takes 2 hours or so.  I fret.  I do not wake up at 12:30 AM for anyone or anything.  Hubby to the rescue! He gets out the timer we use for lamps when we go on vacation (robbers, don't pay attention.  We never go away.)  And he plugs the CP in, sets it for 2 hours, and away to bed we go.


Scene two:
This morning, the kitchen.
"OH CRAP"
The rice is a mushy ball of starch.  It is completely unsalvageable (sorry, no pics.  Too early to think.)
Lesson learned: Don't get cocky.  And don't cook rice unless you'll be available to fluff it at the end (that's what she said. Sorry, mom!)
Anyway, I came home and made (well, I'm still making) rice.  And now we will have a fabulous rice and bean dinner.  We're even getting fancy and adding tortillas and cheese to the mix.


Here's a pic pre-nosh.  




YUM.  


The recipe is as follows: 


*this made about a million pounds but I plan on freezing most of it


3 cans worth (6 cups?) of black beans 
     - When I cooked the beans I added chiles and a little can of chipotle peppers.  It's a spicy dish so season to taste. 
4 cups cooked rice
2 cups diced tomatoes, roasted on 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  
Handful fresh parsley


Mix & enjoy! 

No comments: