Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Adventures in Canning

This week I finally took the plunge and learned to can.  I have always wanted to learn and bought a kit at Tractor Supply (love that place!) in the spring.  

I'll have a full post with pictures soon but for now, a note to self for next year- buy jars early, as they were hard to come by this late in the season.  

Next year I see myself canning a lot more produce from the garden.  For now, I am satisfied with apple butter (yum!) strawberry jam, and pickled hot peppers.  I am so looking forward to going apple picking and trying a few more apple recipes for canning.  

My personal goal this year is that every person on my Christmas list will get at least one small homemade gift from me.  So I have a lot more canning to do!

Overall notes- it isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  But I have to remember to can when I have lots of energy or I get lazy (my strawberry jam is pretty chunky right now. :)

I also baked an apple tart, banana nut muffins, and a strawberry rhubarb pie this week.  I froze most of the muffins for the next time we have overnight guests. 

BTW, strawberry rhubarb pie is not difficult and is super delish! 


Byeee! 

No comments: