Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Faves

I love to read.  Always have.  From the time I could read, it's been one of my favorite pastimes.  I especially like to read about social issues and historical events that interest me (with a little Harry Potter thrown in there for good measure.)  Over the last 5 years I have really become interested in food: the supply chain, where it comes from, laws/regulations, and how it affects our planet.  I attribute this interest to my husband, who first bought me "Diet for a Small Planet" and has always encouraged me.   He took a nutrition class in college & I WISH I had taken it with him!  I learned so much from his retelling of his classes that it really sparked a passion for me.

Here's my list of three books that I love, have read over & over, and recommend highly.

1. The Omnivore's Dilemna

I read this book on a vacation visiting family in Maine.  I literally couldn't put it down.  Eric's aunt kindly told me to take it home, and mail it back to her.  I did, and then bought my own copy, plus copies as gifts.  I would call this a must read for anyone wanting to vote with their mouths and know where their food comes from. 


2. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

This is a fun story about a family who ate locally for one year. It's an easy to read book with recipesm tips, and some hilarious stories.  My favorite is the chapter on turkey sex.  Did you know they can't?  It's an interesting read & I am actually rereading it again now!  

3. Diet for a Small Planet

After I read this book, I became a vegetarian for about 6 months.  Even now, we eat a very low meat diet.  This is due to budget, preference, and the information I absorbed from this book.  I highly recommend it.  It talks about food issues from a global perspective- without resorting to scare tactics about animal welfare.  Heavy read but excellent book for anyone wanting to learn about food issues. 

No comments: