Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Punjab Paddy

This is a repost from my old blog (delectable life.)  It was pretty popular & I thought it might interest some new readers as well. :)



Anyone know that song by Gaelic Storm? Google it, it's hilarious.

Saturday Eric and I had some dear friends over for an adventuresome little meal. We decided to make Indian food. I have a real love of Indian food (my few months as a vegetarian introduced me to this amazing cuisine) but I know it's not for everyone, so we were a little nervous.

El and Mark jumped in with both feet, supplying a great chickpea salad (Recipe, El?)

Eric did not disappoint, making an amazing fried fish with curried red lentils. YUM. I declared it my favorite dish he has ever made (and that is saying something.)

We served it with basmati rice and Naan. I wanted to make the naan but didn't have time. The store bought was delicious anyway.

If you want to get all crazy and make your own Naan, here's a great recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/naan/Detail.aspx

The curried lentils were another AllRecipes recipe, found here: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/red-lentil-curry/Detail.aspx

Next time we'll make the lentils in the Crock Pot to save on time.

Since I don't know where the camera is, here's a stock image of our dish:

Ours looked just that good, I promise.

Now for a fun extra, the lyrics to Punjab Paddy. The story of an Irishman who makes his way to India. Seriously google this song, it's so cute!
I said farewell to Erin, only seven years ago,
When asked where I was headed, I said: “Jaysus, I dunno!?”
I stepped ashore near Bangalore, not a tosser in me hand,
By the time I hit Darjeeling, I was feeling mighty grand!

Refrão:
You can keep your forty shades of green, they only make me blue,
You can stick your eggs and bacon, boys, I’ll have a Vindaloo,
I found a place in India, so far across the foam,
You can call me Punjab Paddy, boys, I’m never comin’ home.
I dreamed I got a letter from me darling Josephine,
She asked me would I marry her, back home in Skibbereen,
But the girls out here have almond eyes and jasmine-scented hair,
And there’s things in the Kama Sutra that they never do in Clare!
So I’ll spend me days relaxing in me Punjab paradise,
No more I’ll dig the praties, I’ll stick to tea and rice.
I’ll be sippin’ mango lassi with the lassies in the shade,
While yer man called Ravi Shankar plays “The Boys of the Oul’ Brigade!”

Refrão:
You can keep your Miltown Malbay, you can chuck yer Galway Bay,
You’ll never see the sun go down on Delhi or Bombay,
I found a place in India, so far across the foam,
You can call me Punjab Paddy, boys, I’m never comin’ home.
From Bohola to Benares, Inchigeela to Lahore
Kamakura, Siliguri, Peshawar, Sahrunapore
Amritsar to Sanawar, Simla, and Pinjore
I got trolleyed on Dewali, and I'm going back for more!
Someday I’ll be a holy man with saffron on me nose,
I’ll shave my head like Gandhi and I’ll never wear no clothes,
To see the Irish Guru, they’ll come from near and far,
Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Whiskey in the Jar!

Refrão:
You can keep your Michael Flatley with his tattoos on his chest,
Fare thee well, Sweet Anna Liffey, it’s the Ganges I love best,
I found a place in India so far across the foam,
You can call me Punjab Paddy, boys, I’m never comin’ home,
I’m never comin’ home!
I’m never comin’ home!

2 comments:

Autumn Oster said...

Looks so good!! I've never had lentils before... maybe I'll try them while I jam to the Punjab Patty Song.. maybe.

Annemarie Elizabeth said...

hahaha I want to see that! I'll be posting a lentil soup recipe soon so stay tuned ;)